Thursday, May 12, 2011

Coconut Milk

I bought a can of coconut milk last summer with the intentions of making some delicious-sounding Thai dish. Never happened. Now every time I open the pantry, I see this can of coconut milk staring at me. Daring me to use it. Today I decided to not let a fear of unusual ingredients rule my life. (Ok, so that's a little dramatic....). So I checked the expiration date (June 30, 2011) and allrecipes.com and was on my way.

On allrecipes.com I found a recipe for Pineapple Scones that uses coconut milk. Go here http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pineapple-Scones/Detail.aspx for the recipe. I tweaked it a little bit for what I had on hand. My recipe is below.


ingredients all ready to go




cutting in the butter




into the oven they go




Finished product!




Ingredients:

- 2 C flour

- 1 T baking powder

- 1/4 t salt

- 1/4 C butter, chilled

- 3/4 C coconut milk

- 1/4 C honey

- 1 egg, beaten

- 8 oz. crushed pineapple
I didn't have crushed pineapple, so I cut up pineapple tidbits. Next time I think I'll add flaked coconut to amp up the coconut flavor....

1. Heat oven to 375

2. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until it resembles course crumbs.

3. In a small bowl, mix the coconut milk, honey and egg. Stir into the flour mixture. Fold in pineapple. Batter will be pretty goopy - not your normal scone batter.

4. Divide batter into 12 and drop onto ungreased cookie sheet.

5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

I made a glaze out of powdered sugar and some of the leftover coconut milk and put it on the scones when they were cool.

The flavors aren't super vivid, but they're still yummy! And I learned that I like coconut milk. I mean, I REALLY like coconut milk. Be watching for more coconut milk experimentation in the future....

No comments:

Post a Comment