Saturday, August 20, 2011

Challenge!

My cousin Jill issued a challenge on Thursday.  "Make one Pinterest-inspired item by Saturday."   That was all it took for me to go through my boards and select something to make.  I'm a sucker for a challenge - but only if it's something doable.  Challenge me to make something crafty or bake a fun recipe?  I'm in.  Challenge me to climb a mountain or solve a tough math problem?  Totally out.  So I guess I like challenges that aren't very challenging...

We're going to a birthday party tonight for one of our best friends - he's turning the big 3-5.  I said I'd bring a little something sweet.  And what did Pinterest have in store for me?  No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Truffles.  Sold.  And they are SO easy!  And don't they look festive?


No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Truffles (I doubled this recipe and it was a good amount to bring to a party)
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup vanilla cake mix
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups chocolate chips (you can also use chocolate almond bark)
Directions
  • Combine the cake mix, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.  It will be a very firm dough.  
  • Roll the dough into small balls and place on a parchment or wax paper covered cookie sheet.  (If the dough gets too sticky during this, place it in the fridge for a few minutes.)
  • Place the cookie sheet of dough balls in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
  • Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave.  I like to melt mine in a mug - it makes dipping easier.
  • Dip each dough ball in melted chocolate and then place back on the cookie sheet.  Put sprinkles on before the chocolate hardens.
  • Once all the dough balls are covered in chocolate, put the cookie sheet back in the freezer until the chocolate is hardened.
  • Store in the fridge or freezer

Then I was left with about half a bag of cake mix.  What's a girl to do?  Why, go back to her pinterest board and see what other cake-mix inspired recipes she's pinned.  And that'shat I did. 

And that's when I found these beauties.  Cake mix cookies.  And only 3 ingredients?  Done.




Cake Mix Cookies (I only had half a box of cake mix, so I halved this recipe.)
Ingredients:
  • One box cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • whatever mix-ins your little heart desires
Directions:
  • Heat oven to 350.
  • Combine cake mix, eggs and oil.  Stir in your chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
  • Drop by the spoonful on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes
So easy!  And delicious.

Thanks, Jill for the challenge!

PS - I also made one other sewing/crafty project, but it's for a 2-year-old birthday that's coming up on October 1st...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment